Over the past 10 years, environmental responsibility and sustainability has become a key focus for Civic, and we have implemented a huge range of innovative solutions to reduce water usage, carbon emissions and waterway contamination, and improve staff safety and wellbeing.
Some of these initiatives include:
- The introduction of 18 electric and hybrid vehicles to our nationwide fleet, including the country’s first EV street & bin washing truck.
- Introducing 600L capacity public rubbish bins powered by a solar battery that compacts waste within the bin. Compared with a standard public rubbish bin (which holds 60-100L) this reduces the frequency of collections and emptying of bins, resulting in significantly less fuel emissions.
- A recycling environmental wash-bay for maintenance vehicles that collects, filters and recycles its own water.
- Automated bin sensors on public waste bins that remotely capture data on litter bin usage and send an alert when a bin is full. This eliminates unnecessary travel by waste collectors and reduces vehicle emissions.
- Replacing standard steel or aluminium truck cage bodies with Polymer products, meaning that they don’t rust, they’re easier to clean and lighter in weight and improve fuel economy.
- Development of specialised commercial cleaning wet-washing equipment that uses significantly less water.
- Using electric blowers to reduce both carbon and noise emissions.